[WF-General] libCirce

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Wed Oct 4 01:55:50 PDT 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Tess Snider wrote:
> Hrm.  Circe points need to persist, but they aren't the kind of thing I
> want to put into the base player table, as they are a system-specific
> concept.  Perhaps we need to define a way to extend the player data.

Nah.  In the code they're referred to as "tokens".  Generic enough
concept, I think, and one that could be expected to be used roughly
similarly in most game servers?  I have some rather macro-level plans
for these points, which I probably should get into in more detail with
you guys, but at a later juncture (I probably should get mithro's
input on it first, because I bet he's been thinking about similar ideas
already.)

> Perhaps we can give the player table an extra column which provides an
> entity ID representing an entity which stores game-specific player
> extension parameters.  For a game like Pong, or an RTS, this could
> store your tournament ladder ranking, and play statistics.  For
> Belchfire, it could store Circe points.  For any game, it could store
> any additional player (not character!)  related data that the
> administrators wished to track.

Yup.  Hopefully, oliver can help us uncover the breadth of options we
ought to try to support.  Keeping *all* of the player info in a single
unified table with a relatively fixed scheme could most probably be very
handy.

--
Bryce Harrington
bryce @ neptune.net