[WF-General] Privilages and Role 'Patterns'

Oliver White ojw at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 5 07:48:14 PDT 2000

Richard Wilkins wrote:

> Hi, I'm new here, my name's Andrew Wilkins, I'm 16 and come from Australia.

Hi. We're neighbors. ;-)

> Okay there's the intro...I noticed you had only a bool for the IS_ADMIN element. Given that there will be occupations on an RPG such as world building, which may or may not be coupled with general administration, wouldn't it be wise to have a range of levels of 'superiority', such that someone with a lower level could not delete a character/ban an account, but stick just to their job. I'm not sure what the range of abilities for the admins on WF are (because I'm a naughty boy...no because I only joined the mailing list yesterday), so what I'm saying could be irrelevant. I probably shouldn't bring up Ultima Online, I might get shot, but I will.

Yep, I've been thinking about this a lot. It's going to be the topic of a future 'White Paper'. I've been thinking that we should have a number of 'privilages' for players and admins. A privilage could be a boolean, a discrete number, or a real. Privilages might include inserting new creatures into the game world, banning a user, shutting down the server, etc. There should also be character privilages, like the privilage to cast a spell to cause an earthquake or simply to talk (start talking about the olympics and a mage renders you silent... or something).

These privilages can be granted, increased, decreased or revoked by whatever system you please. I'm looking at developing a 'karma' system module for a democratic approach, but it could be entirely up to a dictatorship of system administrators.

With this system of privilages we can start creating character or player privilage templates, or 'Role Patterns' as I've been thinking, regarding characters. For instance, there's the bread and butter 'log in, increase character's abilities, log out, repeat" pattern. However, I'm much more the 'Puppeteer' pattern - 'log in, see what's going on in the world, find someone interesting to bother, take over an NPC and trying to enhance their gaming experiance (read annoy them till they turn me into a frog)'. Annother pattern is the Game Master: Set up a quest and guide an adventure party through it.

There are also patterns for admins: 'Nuts and Bolts' - keep the server running, the bandwith in check and monitor the cpu and memory usage. 'Mappers' - add a new island, a dungeon, a mountain.

And a few grey areas: 'Deities' - Introduce a new karma system, strike down heathens, intervene or allow your goddly plans to evolve.

And so on and so forth.

I think the roles we take on now, as developers, admins, world designers and so forth will form the basis of our in-game role playing experience. I had a thought of entering your 'personality profile' from kiersey.com and having the game suggest a role for you, given the opportunities available. There could be acolytes, low privilaged Nuts and Bolts (nutters? ;-), etc. The open source nature of our project will have a huge impact on gameplay.

So yeah... the IS_ADMIN field may stay for a little while, or not.

--
Oliver White