[WF-General] Privilages and Role 'Patterns'

Andrew Wilkins [Massive] toodles at Datablocks.net
Thu Oct 5 04:26:14 PDT 2000

Yep, I've been thinking about this a lot. It's going to be the topic of a future 'White Paper'. I've been thinking that we should have a number of 'privilages' for players and admins. A privilage could be a boolean, a discrete number, or a real. Privilages might include inserting new creatures into the game world, banning a user, shutting down the server, etc. There should also be character privilages, like the privilage to cast a spell to cause an earthquake or simply to talk (start talking about the olympics and a mage renders you silent... or something).

Sounds good, as said before, by Tess and James, the bit-vector sounds like a good approach. A bit per function. I don't know if when you mentioned character privileges, that you meant they should be in a seperate table or not...but it would be easy enough to keep all functions in one vector, yes? I'm no programming veteran, so someone tell me to shut up when I start dribbling, please :)

These privilages can be granted, increased, decreased or revoked by whatever system you please. I'm looking at developing a 'karma' system module for a democratic approach, but it could be entirely up to a dictatorship of system administrators.

Karma sounds good, I just suppose it depends on the individual servers.

With this system of privilages we can start creating character or player privilage templates, or 'Role Patterns' as I've been thinking, regarding characters. For instance, there's the bread and butter 'log in, increase character's abilities, log out, repeat" pattern. However, I'm much more the 'Puppeteer' pattern - 'log in, see what's going on in the world, find someone interesting to bother, take over an NPC and trying to enhance their gaming experiance (read annoy them till they turn me into a frog)'. Annother pattern is the Game Master: Set up a quest and guide an adventure party through it.

Yes, this would save a lot of time setting all the bit privileges. I suppose some type of privilege enumerator could easily be set up.

There are also patterns for admins: 'Nuts and Bolts' - keep the server running, the bandwith in check and monitor the cpu and memory usage. 'Mappers' - add a new island, a dungeon, a mountain.

And a few grey areas: 'Deities' - Introduce a new karma system, strike down heathens, intervene or allow your goddly plans to evolve.

Mmm deities are delicious in RPGs...
Only an idea, but alignment, race and character statistics could all affect the privileges too. For example, if one was aligned with an evil deity, then they could gain an ability to talk just to the other members of their alignment. Hm, that wasn't such a great example :o)

And so on and so forth.

I think the roles we take on now, as developers, admins, world designers and so forth will form the basis of our in-game role playing experience. I had a thought of entering your 'personality profile' from kiersey.com and having the game suggest a role for you, given the opportunities available. There could be acolytes, low privilaged Nuts and Bolts (nutters? ;-), etc. The open source nature of our project will have a huge impact on gameplay.

So yeah... the IS_ADMIN field may stay for a little while, or not.

--
Oliver White