[WF-General] Privilages and Role 'Patterns'

Alistair Riddoch ajr at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 5 13:02:39 PDT 2000

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 06:48:14AM +0000, Oliver White wrote:
> Richard Wilkins wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm new here, my name's Andrew Wilkins, I'm 16 and come from Australia.
>
> Hi. We're neighbors. ;-)
>

> Yep, I've been thinking about this a lot. It's going to be the topic
> of a future 'White Paper'. I've been thinking that we should have a
> number of 'privilages' for players and admins. A privilage could be a
> boolean, a discrete number, or a real. Privilages might include
> inserting new creatures into the game world, banning a user, shutting
> down the server, etc. There should also be character privilages, like
> the privilage to cast a spell to cause an earthquake or simply to talk
> (start talking about the olympics and a mage renders you silent... or
> something).
>
> These privilages can be granted, increased, decreased or revoked by
> whatever system you please. I'm looking at developing a 'karma' system
> module for a democratic approach, but it could be entirely up to a
> dictatorship of system administrators.

You need to be careful here. It sounds like you are mixing together two
completely different issues. The privilages of an Account (inserting new
creatures, banning a user etc. ) are completely different from the
abilities of a Character (casting a spell, picking a lock, carrying a heavy
weight, being able to talk), and must be dealt with differently. If a
Players character loses or gains one of these abilities, this change will
not apply to any other character that player might have.

It is my opinion that you should separate administration connections and
accounts from user accounts as much as possible, while at the same time
allowing as much "world building" as possible from the user accounts.

If this is not clear, let me explain. Say for example that for a particular
plot point in the game, a new character is required, a woodcutter who lives
in a small cottage near the forest a couple of miles away from town. It is
of course possible to log in using an Admin account, and type a few commands,
which create the woodcutter, and his house, and place them into the world.

BUT, a completely different approach could be taken which involves no abitrary
creation of objects. Someone could log in using an unpriveledged player
account, and create a new character, which they design to be a woodcutter.
They can then play this character for a short while, obtaining tools and
materials like an axe and some wood, take the character out into the woods,
and start building a house. At this point, the character can be handed over
to the AI system (cyphesis I hope) and given an apropriate set of goals, and
he will carry on building his house until it is complete, at which point he
will continue his life as an NPC woodcutter.

All this can have been achieved without any object having to be created out of
thin air, and if this approach is taken the whole world will evolve in a much
more natural way, and noone will be suddenly suprised to come across
a house that was not there half an hour ago.

Some thoughts.