[WF-General] I had a dream, or 4.

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Sat Oct 7 17:40:25 PDT 2000

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Richard Wilkins wrote:
> To create realistic movement of objects, using physics principles of
> energy.

We haven't discussed physics for a long time, but we used to talk about
these sorts of things and how to implement them quite a bit.  We're
approaching the point of being ready to start figuring out how to
implement them in STAGE, so I'd love seeing more discussion (and
esp. concept | design documentation!) on this.

> Different states of matter, i.e. liquid, solid and gas. This would
> definitely require dynamic temperature, and so is also probably quite
> impractical. It's still a thought though :o)

Will be covered by the recipe system.  (Also needs further design
discussion.)

> Should movement always be undertaken a shortest path? While a shortest
> path will make a character zoom around with no worries about the
> environment they are in, it decreases realism. Speed and knowledge of
> environment have, and always will be an important factor in everyday
> life, and also in battle. Take for example Caesar. His success in battle
> was often due to quick action, knowing his environment, which ultimately
> led to speed.

We may provide a "shortest path" algorithm server-side for players to
make use of.  Of course, people can script up whatever movement
algorithms they want, clientside, as long as they don't spam the server
with too many movement requests.

I suppose commercial game companies would see client-side scripting of
movement or actions to be "taboo", for some reason.  Maybe the game is
so shallow that they feel that without the distraction of the repetitive
click-fest, people would get bored.  I don't know.  But I figure if some
aspect of the game is so monotonous as to be *worth* scripting, then it
probably needs to be automated anyway, right?

So if you the player have adventured in Cambria a long time and
developed a bunch of shortcut scripts ("run-to-north-west-tower",
"goto-baker", "sneak-down-phantom-ridge"), and maybe shared them with
the fellows in your thieves' den or orc tribe or mercenary platoon, then
you could effectively achieve what you describe, without having to wait
on any custom hacks from us server core developers.  Of course, if your
"environment-based movement algorithms" turn out to be super cool and
useful to lots of people, then they could be turned into a module and
plugged into the server as an option for everyone to use.

> My thoughts are that for NPCs, a shortest path could be developed via
> memory, or having a map of some sort. Having been through a path a
> number of times, and having taken different routes to the same place is
> a sure-fire way of developing a shortest path, or what they think is the
> shortest path.

I think Cyphesis can support this now, or if not, would be able to
handle it with not much additional coding.  It's a very good and very
interesting idea.  The server architecture WorldForge has come up with
was chosen because it leaves open a lot of distributed experimentation
with what NPC's can do.  I personally believe this will be one of
perhaps half a dozen or a dozen killer features that will enable
WorldForge games to kick traditional games' ass.  And the fact that it
doesn't work without the support of the player community means this is
one feature that commercial game developers can't easily replicate.
They can't get a community without a successful game, and if because of
features like these, commercial games can't be successful without a
community, then I'm glad we've got such a strong community already.  :-)

> Use case - Andrew puts too much fish-food in the fish-bowl, in which a
> Goldfish presides
>
> Fish thinks: Ooo ... you put food in my fishbowl, and I can't remember
> if I'm hungry or not, so I'll eat it.
> Fish thinks: Ooo ... you put food in my fishbowl, and I can't remember
> if I'm hungry or not, so I'll eat it.
> Fish dies from eating too much.
>
> I did mean to write that twice :)

Sounds like someone is going to get an urge to implement fishies in
Acorn.  ;-)  (We've got squirrels, why not gold fish?)

--
Bryce Harrington
bryce @ neptune.net