[WF-General] Cheaters (was: Distinguishing Admin and Player)

Alistair Riddoch ajr at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 9 19:49:42 PDT 2000

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 01:18:05PM -0400, Tess Snider wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Alistair Riddoch wrote:
>
> > > Vigilantes, who take on task of "cleaning out" cheaters
> >
> > Such a role could be effectively fulfilled without breaking the game
> > paradigm. Such a Player could have a character who is an officer in the
> > town guard who could arrest cheaters, and lock them up in the town jail. (*)
>
> Personally, I have *always* found attacking OOC problems, IC, distasteful,
> and it is one of the ways in which my philosophies have always differed
> from Raph Koster's.  Keep in mind that UO thought that they could deal
> with the OOC problem of grief players through IC means, and it never
> worked right.  I'm in favour of banning cheaters, with a few important
> exceptions:

Compelling arguments, which I have to say I now agree with. Anyone actually
found to be actually cheating should be banned, and this itself is best
done OOC. Having said that (and straying off topic), the character in question
should not just disapear in a puff of smoke. Is it best to arrange to the
character to meet a sticky end, dragged off into a deep dark oubliette,
never to be seen alive again, or turned into an NPC, or something else?