[WF-General] Cheaters (was: Distinguishing Admin and Player)

John Tillman speedbump0619 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 9 16:22:26 PDT 2000

>From: Alistair Riddoch <ajr at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
>To: general at mail.worldforge.org
>Subject: Re: [WF-General] Cheaters (was: Distinguishing Admin and Player)
>Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:49:42 +0100

> > > Such a role could be effectively fulfilled without breaking the game
> > > paradigm. Such a Player could have a character who is an officer in
>the
> > > town guard who could arrest cheaters, and lock them up in the town
>jail. (*)
> >
> > Personally, I have *always* found attacking OOC problems, IC,
>distasteful,
> > and it is one of the ways in which my philosophies have always differed
> > from Raph Koster's.  Keep in mind that UO thought that they could deal
> > with the OOC problem of grief players through IC means, and it never
> > worked right.  I'm in favour of banning cheaters, with a few important
> > exceptions:
> >

>Compelling arguments, which I have to say I now agree with. Anyone actually
>found to be actually cheating should be banned, and this itself is best
>done OOC. Having said that (and straying off topic), the character in
>question
>should not just disapear in a puff of smoke. Is it best to arrange to the
>character to meet a sticky end, dragged off into a deep dark oubliette,
>never to be seen alive again, or turned into an NPC, or something else?

     Well...What happens to characters when their players go offline
(dinner, the beach, to work, etc)?  I assume from the discussions that I
have read that the characters are still active (NPCs controlled with
AI/Scripts).  If this is true then the character should be un-cheated, and
left as an NPC.  If characters just disappear in a puff of logic, then you
could just erase them.
     I would be more inclined to turn them to stone (or some game-relevent
stasis) and let them decay away as a reminder to all the other players.

[philosophical fluff below, may be irrelevant depending on how you intend
your servers to be setup/used]

Any number of methods can be used to accomplish this task, but the *server*
should probably set the banishment policy.  This is much like the X-Windows
philosophy "functionality, not policy".  Provide a method for admins to say
"poof you are no more", and the server deals with the details.  Servers
should also use the same philosophy for handling what happens when players
leave.
     I like the idea of going to work, but still having my character(s)
active.  However I realize that my character might just be dead when I come
back.  This would upset many people, so you might choose to run servers
where when you went into your house you dissappeared, or were replaced by a
temporary bot, or were put in cryogenic stasis.  Whatever...the point is
there are reasons for all of these, and if you enforce one policy, then the
worlds who need or want a different one are left without.

just my (opinionated) $0.02 worth
-Scott Tillman