[WF-General] Group ownership of characters

John Tillman speedbump0619 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 9 16:55:51 PDT 2000

When playing AD&D many moons ago, one of the best campains I ever played in
had about 12 characters, among 10 players.  Now as you probably know, it is
difficult to always get 10 people together at one time.  This problem was
solved by allowing the 6-7 players divide the remaining Characters between
them.  This allowed intelligent control of the without-player characters,
and allowed the game to be played.  All of the players had to agree to do
this, and there had to be a certain minimum number of players or it became
to...disjointed/  This leads me to my two questions.

1) Is it possible for more than one person to be allowed to play a
character?  One person would be the "owner," but they could allow several
people to run the character when they were not.  It is, of course, assumed
that the "owner" would trust these players to make reasonable decisions, but
that is the "owner's" responsibility.

2) Is it possible for one player to direct multiple players at one time?
This seems like a combination client and server task.  The server has to
allow it, the client has to facilitate it.  For example a client could
provide the ability to switch between the two+ characters, and see their
current stats, view, etc.  When the player was not "watching" a character it
would be controlled by it's scripting/AI.  This is something that a good GM
would be able to use to great advantage, both in directed combat vs. his
players, and in role-playing his NPC's.

Just a few questions/ideas for your perusal.

-Scott Tillman