[WF-General] Distinguishing Admin and Player

Tess Snider malkin at Radix.Net
Tue Oct 10 17:19:17 PDT 2000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Jason Oppel wrote:

> Players have a nasty habit of surprising GMs by doing the unexpected
> thing.  We should anticipate no less (perhaps even more) from
> WF players when our game(s) are tossed to the wolves. ;-) It's my
> theory that even a well-designed, centralized enforcement solution will
> probably be inferior/less flexible to even a poorly planned enforcement
> solution where players are empowered.  Thoughts... comments?

A few months ago, I read a post on a bulletin board, which said, roughly
(in reference to games expecting players to exercise their own justice),
"I am a Police Officer, in real life.  When I come home, and log
into a game, I do not want my game to make me feel like I'm still at
work."

For IC crimes, sure, players should be allowed to participate in bringing
justice.  However, if it requires too much work and time on the parts of
the player-characters, you can't expect them to do all the work.  One
might argue that if the player-character community doesn't care enough to
hunt someone down, then whatever that character did must not have been
that bad.  Tell that to the guy that got murdered, and his NPC family.
There is a society in place that extends beyond the player-characters.
This is your backdrop. This is the world you have created.  If it doesn't
react to the shocking events that happen around it, it will seem stale and
meaningless.

Tess