[WF-General] Distinguishing Admin and Player

Pug pug007 at sgi.net
Tue Oct 10 18:30:17 PDT 2000

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 04:19:17PM -0400, Tess Snider wrote:
> A few months ago, I read a post on a bulletin board, which said, roughly
> (in reference to games expecting players to exercise their own justice),
> "I am a Police Officer, in real life.  When I come home, and log
> into a game, I do not want my game to make me feel like I'm still at
> work."

I agree here, but someone who's, say, a perl hacker, may enjoy spending
some time being a police officer in a medieval world, even if it's not all
the time. I know I'm definately going to try a few cobblers or bakers, myself.

> For IC crimes, sure, players should be allowed to participate in bringing
> justice.  However, if it requires too much work and time on the parts of
> the player-characters, you can't expect them to do all the work.

Right, I don't think we should completely rely on the players for everything,
especially early on. However, as you said, they definately should have the
ability (lynch mobs are always fun). In fact, the PJS assumes guards who act
basically as dumb meat, so they're probably going to usually be NPCs. Ergo, you
only need some PCs high up (or even some NPCs, before players take over
positions), to issue orders.

> One
> might argue that if the player-character community doesn't care enough to
> hunt someone down, then whatever that character did must not have been
> that bad.  Tell that to the guy that got murdered, and his NPC family.
> There is a society in place that extends beyond the player-characters.
> This is your backdrop. This is the world you have created.  If it doesn't
> react to the shocking events that happen around it, it will seem stale and
> meaningless.

This does bring up the point that we *do* basically have to rely on players
to determine guilt or innocense, whether it be Trial by Jury or a Warden who
decides whether to free you or chop off your head (remember, we don't have to
make everywhere a Happy-Fun Land of the Free. Some despotism can be quite fun
to RP). AI just doesn't handle this kind of thing too well, unless you go
all the way and make an icky "This Person Killed Someone" bit, or whatever.

--
"Life, death, genocide, that's all small beans. All the important battles are
fought upon the fields of Nomenclature."	http://egrep.org