[WF-General] Distinguishing Admin and Player

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Wed Oct 11 16:37:32 PDT 2000

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Pug wrote:
> I know, but it gets annoying when we get someone bringing up something we
> discussed ages ago as if it's new. Like:
>
> "I have an idea! Let's make it so that death is bad, and you don't just
> lose experience!"

I know, I know, I get annoyed too sometimes, but more in the sense of
"Gee, why hasn't someone documented what we discussed before?"  In a
way, it suggests the previous discussion was a waste of time.  The
suggestions to "just read the archives" is so completely unrealistic it
isn't even worth mentioning.  :-\

We had tried to summarize the discussion from the start, but after only
a couple of weeks it became essentially impossible.  Every now and then
I summarize up a thread and post it, but I don't do it much anymore
because there's just way too much for one person.

> Maybe we should make some kind of index of discussed topics in each area
> with links to the Archive? That way, if someone wants to bring it up again,
> we won't be repeating it all, but building.

Do you want to slog through every thread we've discussed and build that
index?  Me neither.  Plus, even if we went through and did it once,
someone would have to go through and update it every week.

We definitely need a solution to the "lost in the archives" problem.  We
have good information going across the mailing lists that needs to be
preserved in a format more browsable than raw mail archives.  And the
solution needs to be something other than burdening one or two people
with an impossibly huge chore.  Which means it needs to be either
automated or be "naturally distributable".

--
Bryce Harrington
bryce @ neptune.net