[WF-General] Distinguishing Admin and Player

Tess Snider malkin at Radix.Net
Wed Oct 11 23:17:20 PDT 2000

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Pug wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 06:20:19PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > Well, my point is that one cannot build on something that is not there.
> > How can we expect newbies to just magically "know" that such and such a
> > topic is ``basic'' and already discussed??  You haven't got a right to
> > say RTFM until you've got a FM.
>
> Well, I meant that as an ideal setup. If we get a list of at least our past
> really big discussions (eg, "Perm Death"), we can avoid the worst cases. I do
> concede that RTFA is no longer a really viable solution for everyone new to
> the project, since they've gotten a bit big over the years.

Making such a list, I think it's also a good idea to make it clear which
decided-upon principles are universal, and which are specific to the game
instanc "Belchfire," the world instance "Dural," or the game system
instance "Circe."  Universal principles apply to all of our work,
regardless of what game, world, rule system, or specific running instance
someone is talking about.

For example:

Universal principles:
	o  The server will be modular and customizable.
	o  The software will be Free and open source.

Belchfire Principles:
	o  Permanent Death.

Dural Principles:
	Uh, well, I'm sure you guys can think of some decided-upon
	principles of the world. :)

Circe Principles
	You can find lots of these in the Circe doc.

The reason I say this is that after we've been here a while, we all know
which statements of principle relate to our "ideal" world, and which are
universal to all worlds.  While we have discussed and decided upon
PermaDeath, for example, it would be quite easy to use WorldForge software
to create a game which didn't have PermaDeath.  Thus, PermaDeath is not a
universal principle.  However, that may not be readily apparent to a
newbie.  Without some background, it might be hard for a newbie to
distinguish between what can be done in Belchfire, and what can be done in
other games made with our tools.  To them, it might sound like PermaDeath
is hard-coded into the server, when nothing could be further from the
truth.

Tess