[WF-General] Distinguishing Player Objects from Character Objects

Tom Austin austin at usf.teradyne.com
Thu Oct 12 14:49:52 PDT 2000

Some ultra-religious friends of mine were terrified that their sons would
get sucked into the D&D world. they were relieved when their sons started
playing Warhammer instead. I never could figure that one out

~
~ Back in my Dungeon Master days, I actually had a player that was given a
~ copy of that comic by his ultra-religious mother, who wanted to 'save'
~ him before it was too late.  Of course, he became one of the hardest
~ core DragonLance players I've ever met.  And he had extremely creative
~ places to hide his RPG materials.
~
~ His mom was afraid he would be playing it when he came over to my place
~ (which of course was true), so engineered that he could only play at his
~ place, under her supervision.
~
~ Obviously, that threw a wrench into the works, but not for long.  I
~ pawed through my various RPG's to find a non-D&D alternate, and let his
~ mom "review" them.  Turned out Call of Cthulhu was okay, because, well,
~ "It's obviously just make believe."  Huh, go figure.  So we ended up
~ playing CoC in his dining room, and even got fresh baked cookies and
~ stuff.  Quite froody.  :-)
~
~ Pay no mind to religious nuts; they clearly don't know what they think
~ they know, all the time.
~
~ Bryce
~