[WF-General] Distinguishing Admin and Player

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Thu Oct 12 15:09:09 PDT 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Pug wrote:
> > > If by "written up officially enough" means "on the site somewhere",
> > > it may work, but I would definately suggest against going over all of our
> > > discussions again that haven't been written down in some mission statement.
> >
> > No, I won't accept stuff as "finalized" that is not at least written up
> > in Wiki.  Anything that exists only in someone's head is fair game.
>
> Oh, that's OK, then. I thought you were meant it had to written on one of
> those various Battle Plans or whatever we've written up, which would mean
> very little. :)

If it exists in Wiki and is written up with enough "meat" to justify the
decision, then it should merely be a matter of cut-and-paste (of either
the text, or the hyperlink) to get it into the official Belchfire Spec.
Of course, you'd want to repost the link to the mailing list to get
further input.

I'm working on some thoughts regarding how this can be done all within
Wiki, but it will require assistance of the Infra team.

> > Yes, I know this probably means that some of the decisions made in the
> > past may get overturned.  I'm sure that seems worrisome.  But does it
> > make any sense to go with an approach today that won't pass a concensus
> > test today?
>
> Okay, fine with me. However, I think we should have some time to prepare, and
> start it over a weekend. That way, prominent people in each Area can post some
> summaries of various topics to start the discussion off well.

Or we can just wait until a newbie brings up a topic, and use that as
the motivator to start the discussion.  Since the goal is to answer all
the questions a new developer might have, then by definition this should
be a decent motivator, right?  ;-)

> Let's take as an example Perm Death in Belchfire. I would send a mail to
> Rules@, outlining the passing concept, summarizing the discussion
> we had last time, with the conclusion, and provide a link to the thread.
> That way, instead of rehashing everything all over again with the exact
> same arguments, we can kind of *build* on our old stuff, while still
> having a new discussion about the topic, and possibly reaching a new
> decision.

Good idea, I think that is exactly the kind of thing that other
(new|old) developers would love to see.  Especially if it is on a topic
that has been recently discussed anyway.  You know the topics that
everyone likes to chat about.  I think with the focus of producing a
solidified concept for the Belchfire Spec, these discussions would
be more productive.

> In fact, I think it'd be fun to throw out some of our old idea that are
> "finalized" for discussion in this manner.

Agreed!

--
Bryce Harrington
bryce @ neptune.net