[WF-General] Distinguishing Admin and Player

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Thu Oct 12 15:54:29 PDT 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Pug wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 02:09:09PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Pug wrote:
> > > Oh, that's OK, then. I thought you were meant it had to written on one of
> > > those various Battle Plans or whatever we've written up, which would mean
> > > very little. :)
> >
> > If it exists in Wiki and is written up with enough "meat" to justify the
> > decision, then it should merely be a matter of cut-and-paste (of either
> > the text, or the hyperlink) to get it into the official Belchfire Spec.
> > Of course, you'd want to repost the link to the mailing list to get
> > further input.
>
> Right, I didn't think of that. My previous fear was just that you were
> talking about some kind of previous document or whatever.

If we had such a document, I'd say use it.  But I think the point is
that we don't have it.  ;-)

> > I'm working on some thoughts regarding how this can be done all within
> > Wiki, but it will require assistance of the Infra team.
>
> Oh gods, this brings back horrible memories.

I know, I know, there's a lot of built up residual wiki-angst because
we've been (mis-)using it as a website development tool, which it kind
of sucks at.  No, I'm suggesting using it more as a collaborative
discussion tool, which is something that actually it is quite good at.
But again, I need to think this through before I propose anything.

> > Or we can just wait until a newbie brings up a topic, and use that as
> > the motivator to start the discussion.  Since the goal is to answer all
> > the questions a new developer might have, then by definition this should
> > be a decent motivator, right?  ;-)
>
> Right, but I was trying to avoid that to keep to somewhat orderly and avoid
> some kind of stampede.

Stampedes are great ways to move a lotta cattle.  The trick is
harnessing it.  I think Wiki has been sitting beside us with that
harness all this time, and we've not ever realized it.

--
Bryce Harrington
bryce @ neptune.net