[WF-General] Rumors of my death have been greatly exagerated(was All dead, all dead)

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Mon Oct 16 17:15:26 PDT 2000

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Paulus Esterhazy wrote:
> > > But unfortunately you didn't. Uclient, IMO the most
> > > important part of the project, isn't making any progess.
> >
> > I would hazard a guess that you're not subscribed to the CVS mailing
> > list?  Keep in mind not everything gets posted to the General mailing
> > list that's being worked on.  That's why we have seperate lists! :)
> You're right. I'm only subscribed to General and Client, but that's
> what I'm most interested in. You SHOULD be able to keep track
> of the current overall status with the general list, too.

I post overview stuff to general@ at least every few months.  You can
expect more regular posting of current overall status when I get hired
to do WF full time.  ;-P

> > Acorn 0.2RC1 is now  and has some really cool (new) things.  I would
> > invite you to check out this Acorn screenshot of the newest release
> > candidate:
> > http://www.worldforge.org/images/screenshots/market.jpg
> That is great indeed. What is IMO needed, is a running server
> and ready-to-use downloadable clients (that is, taking the user
> a maximum of 3 hours to get running incl. compiling etc.). But
> if you say that's what will be achieved in a time frame of say
> two months, that would be fine with me :-)

Hmm, I downloaded acorn logged into the server at worldforge.net and
played for a bit just last night.  It only took about 15 min to set up
in linux once it was downloaded.  Didn't have to compile anything.

> > I can't speak with the other areas but I know that Cyphesis has undergone
> > lots of changes even in the past month or two and lots more are in the
> > future.  Some new things in cyphesis just in the past month or so have
> > been new skeleton behaviours, bug squashing, fire and a new
> > major optimisation effort has begun!  Lots of good stuff going on and
> > there is a lot that I didn't mention..
> Sure, I'm not up-to-date with the very "inner circle" development,
> but if there have been dramatic progress, PLEASE speak up and
> tell the world so. Make a freshmeat announcement, have slashdot
> discuss your status (oh well, maybe not .-))

I don't think Slashdot is interested in open source games, but we will
be posting to Freshmeat soonish.

--
Bryce Harrington
bryce @ neptune.net