[WF-General] All dead, all dead

Uta Szymanek szymanek at student.uni-kl.de
Tue Oct 17 14:23:22 PDT 2000

Hello, Paulus

I think that you are wrong, if you think that this project is dead. Many
people are discussing and then they realize their ideas. Some are really
so hard working on the realization of their goals and the new demo, that
they probably don't write more than the most important mails, I think,
in order to use the time instead for the progress of the project. But as
I see it there is much progress in many ares: server, clients definitly,
2d and 3d artwork, music and sounds are alive again. Manson is in
progress, too. And a good infrastructure will always more support this
project then handicap it. No, this project is not dead, but even more
alive then some month ago.

Paulus Esterhazy wrote:

> ATTENTION: long, pessimistic post ahead
>
> Hello fellows!
>
> I must tell you about something I've noticed about
> this whole (inquestionably great) thingy calles WorldForge.
> I'm afraid I feel this project is going to fail. That's
> why:
>
> Firstly, you're putting too much work into infrastructure.
> This has paid off, yes, the worldforge web site IS
> among the best ones for open projects on the net,
> wiki is all great and you've got it all documentated,
> there's a giant CVS with loads of code and graphics,
> and you did a great share of thinking about servers
> and clients. Everything is well-planned and you've
> been ready to take off and sore high to the stars
> for more than a year.
>
> But unfortunately you didn't. Uclient, IMO the most
> important part of the project, isn't making any progess.
> There ARE server(s) that run, but they don't do much
> that a very simple irc server couldn't do. There's a
> zillion of projects on top of the worldforge idea, but
> none of them has more than a few lines of code done.
> No client can easily connect to a server, and there's
> no functional map editor. There are drafts for map file
> formats, but nothing's concrete, all effort is spread
> among a dozen of undoubtably highly skilled people,
> that aren't really "on fire" about the project any more.
> And no matter how you put it, there is no in any way
> playable game done at all.
>
> Additionally team members are dying away quickly.
> People naturally have much to do with their own
> real life jobs or education, and when the project isn't
> showing real progress for some time, they will lose
> interest, and that's what I've seen here. The most
> visible thing is that mailing list traffic has decreased
> steadily and there hasn't been an announcement
> of a new version of some part of the project for
> a while. And the website or the CVS are down
> regularly.
>
> I do NOT (no way!) blame anyone for this situation.
> Even if I wanted to, I couldn't 'cause I've been only
> lurking and not doing anything productive. I haven't
> ever seen anyone doing as much for a project (judging
> from many long high-quality posts e.g.) as Bryce does.
>
> My question for you: Why won't you admit that this
> project is, as sad as it is, almost dead by now?
> You're discussing lots and lots of things, like licensing
> issues and switching to SourceForge, don't you feel
> that this is an excuse for not admitting that we are not
> making progress in the actual core, the game? The
> way I see it, this is as if Switzerland was spending
> three quarters of its tax income on its navy, isnt it?
>
> I don't want to be cruel or anything. It is sad.
> And please flame me and tell me I'm wrong.
> I'm not wearing my fire-proof suit.
>
> You can still rescue this beautiful body if you
> try hard, but if you let it die (which I can undestand
> fully, I'm the laziest person on eart), please admit
> [...]

live long and prosper, Uta.

Uta Szymanek
E-mail:              szymanek at student.uni-kl.de
Homepage:            http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~szymanek