[WF-General] Licensing/Copyrighting Artwork in WF

Adrian ka.ho at pandora.be
Fri Oct 20 02:37:41 PDT 2000

Hello

During the media meeting on Wed 18.10.2000 the issue
about licensing for artwork came up. I haven't thought
about it until then : i'm a hobby-musician and earned (little:)
 money with my music just on a few gigs, and this
was more by accident than anything else.

Without falling into paranoia or simply overestimating
my humble efforts, i have to admit that i won't
feel comfortable with the idea that there might be some
 malevolent person somewhere who tries to generate
money with my artwork (without letting me know), while
 i'm not. I insist on the fact that i'm submitting to WF
music without financial profit in mind  and that my only goal
 by doing so is to help Wf a little (and having
fun, of course :).

After reading through what i've found as major free licensing
 systems on Bryces advice (GNU GPL,Artistic,BSD,Netscape PL
 and Mozilla PL) i came to the conclusion that this is sadly not
convenient for music and artwork at all.

I'm considering the following draft:

1) Adrian Karim Ouarar's artwork is copyrighted under
    the statements of the Berne Union for the Protection of
   Literary and Artistic Property (Berne Convention) and
   will stay so until he decides explicitely to change this.

2) i allow the WorldForge-Team (WF-Team), and only the
    WorldForge-Team, to make use of my submitted artwork
    to WorldForge for non-commercial use within the development
   of the WF-project, and within the World Forge Project only, without
   altering the fact that my artwork remains my intellectual property.
   This includes the right to modify,duplicate and distribute my artwork
   within the develoment of the Wf-Project by WF-Team-members,including
   all worlds created with the Wf-technology and its derivatives but not
   to any third party.
   The WF-team, as well as anyone making use of my artwork is required to
   distribute my artwork for playback only to its   clients and to mention
clearly:
     a) the Author
     b) that it is copyrighted artwork

Definitions:
WF-team = anyone who is actively involved in the development
                    of the World Forge Project at http://www.worldforge.org
                    by submitting, testing and debugging code, accomplishing
                    infrastructural work, promotional work, artistic work
and game-designing.
                    This excludes anyone who is no longer taking actively
part in the project
                    as Adrian Karim Ouarar submits his artwork.

Questions:

- Does this imply any negative consequences for any of you ? Is there any
reason
  for the Wf-team not to agree to this?
- Is this a legally correct text? (i've obviously never written anything
like it:)
- Are there some "security holes" in here?
- Does anyone sees an alternative to classic Copyright?
- what are thinking the other artists (musicians in particular) about this
subject?
- are there any plans to let WF generate money in one way ore another ?

As i wont implement this without your blessing, please let me know soon.

thx
Adrian

P.S.: grr,i hate this issue...want to make music, and not to play lawyer:)

ka.ho at pandora.be