[WF-General] Licensing/Copyrighting Artwork in WF

Heymann William William.Heymann at Colorado.EDU
Fri Oct 20 11:23:07 PDT 2000

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000 x5101920 at fedro.ugr.es wrote:

> > There is a problem with this. Many worlds will probably be set up as pay
> > to play. Servers and bandwidth are expensive. It is doubtful people will
> > be able to run large free servers. So some of us will need to charge at
> > least enough to cover the cost of the servers and bandwidth. Under your
> > license we could not do that.
>
> Charge for bandwidth?
> And you don't give anything to the developers, artists, and all those people who
> let you use your bandwidth.
>
> I think that the non-comercial point is a good one.

What I don't get is that all of us writing the code for this are putting
it under the gpl and that is part of the reason. The code I write people
will use in their pay to play servers and all I expect is credit. By the
same token I will use their code to construct pay to play worlds. That is
the idea behind the gpl for a large part. Look at all the code written for
kde, gnome, the kernel, gimp etc but the dists don't generally pay all the
people that wrote the stuff.

> BTW the point is not to get a expensive large server but a network of
> unexpensive small servers.

1) A good AI system like cyphesis is going to require some large servers
for larger worlds.
2)even to run 50 players is going to cost a fair bit in bandwidth.