[WF-General] Licensing/Copyrighting Artwork in WF

Anubis . tonopah at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 20 18:20:47 PDT 2000

Adrian,

I sympathize with your concern.  I think most everyone in the project does.

The reality is that if MegaCorp wants to steal your artwork, or any of the
code, or anything from the website, there's nothing we can do to stop them.
However, they would be breaking the GDFL or GPL license the work is released
under if they don't credit the author(s) and release the source where
appropriate.  This gives you the legal standing to take them to court, or
pursue whatever other legal means are available.

This is the same for any license you could write.  If they violate it, you
have the same recourse.

I think the GDFL and GPL licenses provide protection from the type of use
you are worried about, and still would permit people to recieve compensation
for the cost of CDs they sent out your music and Uta's graphics and aloril's
code on, or the bandwidth bryce payed for to run his server.  Yes, they may
even be able to make a profit on this.  However, they won't be have
exclusive rights to your work, so people could download the data themselves.
  This is your true protection against someone making excessive income off
of your work.  Rather, they can make money on the service of packaging your
work, or bringing it to life.

You are probably aware of the huge debates that have occurred in the Free
Software movement regarding licenses.  Mixing licenses leads to large
problems related to mutual incompatibilities, and tracking what items are
under which licenses.  Its something we are working hard to avoid.

I belive that the core Worldforge software and media needs to be under a
single license.  However, I also see a place for alternatively licenses
works.  These will have to be kept separate, though.  If you find that the
GDFL doesn't meet your needs, don't let that detur you from producing more
wonderful music.  It won't be in the default Acorn (or other product
release) but I'm sure people would be happy to put a bit of work into
downloading it themselves and encorporating it into their copy of the
client.

anubis

of course, I speak for myself.  your interpretation may vary.  not valid in
US territories and protectorates. blah blah :)