Werewolf Update -> Re: [WF-General] Is there anything I can do?

James Turner jmtn at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 21:54:14 PDT 2001

On 06 Aug 2001 09:00:43 -0400, Fred Spiker wrote:

> If anyone wants to work on the STAGE side of things then do so by all means.
> The end goal is still to get this thing running on STAGE. Personally, I
> would like to focus more on Xclient, as STAGE is set to be used for a number
> of games, and Xclient needs some well deserved attention drawn to it. Also
> remember, STAGE implementation is useless without Xclient supporting Atlas.
> So that's a really important task on both the Xclient and STAGE fronts.

Actually, the *best* course of action would be to port Xclient to Eris
(okay, I'm slight biased, but ..). This should enable it to talk to
Stage (or indeded, Cyphesis) without any further work on nasty network
stuff. Indeed, Eris was created exactly becuase there didn't seem any
point duplicating all the client-side entity logic. The Eris API is
(again, in my somewhat biased opinion) pretty obvious and means you can
get something working really fast.

Of course Eris needs a lot of development, but it would get Xclient
talking Atlas, which is the main thing holding it back right now (I
would say).

I may even has a go at this myself, once some other comittments are out
of the way. In any case I would urge you to work on STAGE rather than
the test server; it's really not as bad as it looks, and the only way
STAGE will improve is people actually using it.

James