[WF-General] Werewolf is back on!

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Tue Aug 7 20:56:47 PDT 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, [iso-8859-1] Tony wrote:
> To throw in my $0.02, I also get two of some things (including
> the email being refernced this time). This is using yahoo mail,
> but I doubt that the mail client has anything to do with it.

There are two common reasons why dup's show up from time to time.

The first and most obvious is crossposting.  Nuff said there.

The second is that our mailing lists are set up to deny non-subscribers
from posting to the list, and instead it puts the messages into limbo
until the mailing list moderator gets a chance to check them out.  It's
my suspicion that this is one of the causes for the message duplication;
I am guessing that the poster got a note that he couldn't submit because
he wasn't a subscriber and the message would be held for review, or
something, and then sub's and resends; then a week or so later the
mailing list admin notices there's a queue of emails waiting approval,
and just bulk-approves them.  This would explain why we get a spurt of
dups all at the same time.

IMHO, the restriction that leads to this mess is acceptable because it
cuts out spam, which I'm sure none of us want to see on the WF lists.
;-)

Bryce