[WF-General] NEEDED: Screenshot Collector

John R. Sheets jsheets at mccaawebster.com
Thu Aug 23 09:21:44 PDT 2001

Bryce Harrington wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Hans [iso-8859-1] Häggström wrote:
> > I started on a table of this kind at
> > http://moria.mit.edu:8080/wf/project/screens/
> > (below the previous screenshots).

Great!  That was fast...

> > However, I'm stuck on what features that should form the 'milestones' that
> > are screenshotted.

As Bryce sort of implied, it's best to keep these concrete.  If we're going to
stick with seven (which I think is a good idea), we should make sure these seven
are fundamental milestones in client development, and are evenly spread throughout
a client's development cycle.  It'd be kinda lame if you could implement 5 of the 7
features in a single afternoon (unless you're developing on silence-py, errhum).

Lessee.  Here are some distinct, noteworthy milestones (in semi-random order):

1) Landscape (map rendering)
2) Chat (login and chat)
3) Characters (loading and moving a character around)
4) Buildings (distinction between inside/outside)
5) Inventory (buying, selling, selecting items)
6) Combat (weapons, magic, etc.)
7) Special Effects (weather, lighting, etc.)

Think of it as a mutated version of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  (c;  And of
course, some of the higher features will have to wait on server-side support, but
the very presence of them will help show where we intend to go.

> If by Communication you mean Chat, that can be implied on the Movement
> screen by having a little discussion in the chat box.  Chat and movement
> seem to be implemented at roughly the same time, I've noticed.

That may be true, but I think we'd be better off distinguishing between the two.
Chat and movement are pretty orthogonal.

> Login might be kinda boring...  Perhaps evidence of connecting to the
> meta server (e.g., a listing of available games, with the one the client
> supports made active for selection) might be better?

Boring or not, it's a critical part of our MM*O*RPG identity.  (c:  Games that can
connect to live servers will be much more interesting to new people, and we would
serve them better to make that distinction crystal clear.

> It might be worth considering having the screenshots involve some sort
> of action.

That's an interesting point, and is good general advice for setting up screenshots,
but IMHO for the purposes of this screenshot table I think we should target
specific generic functionality.  If we specify discrete actions for our screenshot
categories, we risk limiting clients of other game genres.  If we have a "wading"
category, how well will that map to sci-fi clients?  (And of course, if you were
just giving generic advice on creating interesting shots, then disregard the above
paragraph.)

John

--
John R. Sheets, Consultant