[WF-General] NEEDED: Screenshot Collector

Hans Häggström hans.haggstrom at Helsinki.FI
Fri Aug 24 00:26:18 PDT 2001

Lainaus "John R. Sheets" <jsheets at mccaawebster.com>:

> Bryce Harrington wrote:

> > > However, I'm stuck on what features that should form the
> 'milestones' that
> > > are screenshotted.
>
> As Bryce sort of implied, it's best to keep these concrete.  If we're
> going to
> stick with seven (which I think is a good idea), we should make sure
> these seven
> are fundamental milestones in client development, and are evenly spread
> throughout
> a client's development cycle.  It'd be kinda lame if you could implement
> 5 of the 7
> features in a single afternoon (unless you're developing on silence-py,
> errhum).
>
> Lessee.  Here are some distinct, noteworthy milestones (in semi-random
> order):
>
> 1) Landscape (map rendering)
> 2) Chat (login and chat)
> 3) Characters (loading and moving a character around)
> 4) Buildings (distinction between inside/outside)
> 5) Inventory (buying, selling, selecting items)
> 6) Combat (weapons, magic, etc.)
> 7) Special Effects (weather, lighting, etc.)

Oh, these are very good!
I'll update the page when I get an opportunity.

However, isn't the order of the first two usually reversed?
For proper landscape, we need a working map server, terrain engine, etc.

Chat and login is usually what gets done first.

Another significant step that I can think of is crafting different items, or
designing building houses, or generally editing or manipulating in-game items
in some separate dialog or overlayed on top of the view.  But this probably
falls into the 'just a dialog' category, so it wouldn't necessary produce any
showy screenshots.  Overall I'm happy with the above list, the UI and crafting
can be shown off on the actual screenshots page.

> Think of it as a mutated version of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  (c;
> And of
> course, some of the higher features will have to wait on server-side
> support, but
> the very presence of them will help show where we intend to go.

Good analogy.

--
Hans Häggström (a.k.a. zzorn)