[WF-General] Re: interested in contributing (fwd)

Jim Lynch jimlynch at w5corp.com
Tue Apr 2 08:08:07 PST 2002

Hi all,

I am a WF newbie (*ducks flying tomatoes*) but I saw the post below and did
some investigation.

On the web I found freeware link checking at
http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html - it is windows only BTW.

I ran it against www.worldforge.com and it took forever!  I reran it against
the subsite www.worldforge.com/dev and got the following:
-----------------------------------
All pages, by result type:

ok 4332 URLs 60.56%
not found 337 URLs 4.71%
auth required 2390 URLs 33.41%
skip type 43 URLs 0.60%
no such host 6 URLs 0.08%
timeout 22 URLs 0.31%
extended error 10 URLs 0.14%
invalid response 1 URLs 0.01%
no connection 8 URLs 0.11%
no info to return 1 URLs 0.01%
temporarily overloaded 3 URLs 0.04%

Total 7153 URLs 100.00%
-------------------------------------

The detailed report is saved on my website at http://www.w5corp.com/docs as
WF_Dev_BadLinks.zip.  It shows all the broken links and the pages they are
on.  (Infra crew - renaming the unzipped file from WF_Dev_BadLinks.txt to
WF_Dev_BadLinks.htm allows connecting to all the embedded links, but the
file is large enough that it pegs my CPU for a long time before being
useable - maybe break it into sections?  P.S. the Xenu Link Sleuth is fairly
useful - although I found it timed out a lot unless run single threaded.)

Anyway, did you imagine there were 7153 URLs just in the Dev section of the
site (337 of which are broken)?  No wonder it is tough to keep "newbie
friendly".

Being fairly new I can also comment on what a new arrival at the World Forge
home page probably wants - a playable game.  :)

It would sort of make sense to have a small "bullet-proof" customer facing
site that let users try out Acorn.  (Carefully maintained, no broken links,
easy notification on where to download Acorn and where public servers
exist.)  Then, for those visitors that want to contribute, have a link to
the bigger, more dynamic, less well policed development area.

Stirring the pot,

DashZero