[WF-General] License stuff. Fun!

Uta Szymanek szymanek at student.uni-kl.de
Tue Apr 9 21:51:11 PDT 2002

Hello,

"David C. Young" schrieb:

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:40:05AM +0200, Uta Szymanek wrote:
> > Hallo,
> (snip)
> > Perhaps you should think about the fact that all uploaded webimages for the worldforge
> > website including isostudies, sketches, banners, maps,... that are only available in
> > jpg or png or gif  (for example) do not (!) fullfill the GFDL, because the original
> > layered images are not available. This goes not only for my graphics ;)
> > If you guys rebuild the new website carefully (always obeying the GFDL), you should
> > care only to use those images, which are available as the layered image in full
> > resolution.
>
> Really? IANAL either, but it seems to me that the GFDL requires only that images be
> distributed in transparent form. "A "Transparent" copy of the Document means a
> machine-readable copy, represented in a format whose specification is available to the
> general public, whose contents can be viewed and edited directly and straightforwardly
> with ... generic paint programs..." So how is a PNG non-transparent? GIFs are trickier
> and I don't know about JPEGs. However, the PSDs or similar originals are _not_
> transparent, as their formats are not publicly available. Maybe Novalis can tell us
> more about this issue.

In this project it has been common sense that only layered images in original size in PSD or
XCF - format are transparent enough in the sense of the GFDL. I can assure to you that the
PSD-originals with all their layers are the only basis for further work with those images.

When this discussion came up for the first time two years ago (and I remember them well),
most of the tiles and sprites had only one layer, but after the process of redesign this is
not longer the fact. So it is not rare that the originals have at least 4 layers. However
this goes not only for sprites and tiles, but for almost all of my work including posters,
logos, maps, banners, sketches, illustations, ui elements, even backgrounds...
It is interesting for me to see that in the time when I contributed artwork, it seemed to be
obligatory on an artist to provide the originals, too, and now, when I refuse to support
this project with those illegal graphics, it is no problem anymore and originals are not
longer needed. Strange, how things can change.

However, I will release media packages with my media with my copyrightunder a free license.
But only on my (!) homepage and only in a legally correct way.

--
live long and prosper, Uta.

'The mask is torn for those who want to see' free from JRR Tolkien

Uta Szymanek known as pegasus
E-mail:  pegasus at ardanoldo.de
Homepage: http://www.ardanoldo.de