[WF-General] License stuff. Fun!

Jason Oppel jason at smtp.triadinternetsystems.com
Fri Apr 12 17:21:16 PDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Al Riddoch wrote:

> It is quite clear that according to the letter of the GFDL, png is
> transparent, just as a text file is transparent, but just as a text
> file can contain postscript commands, or HTML tag soup which are not
> suitable for editing, a png file can be the result of merging many layers,
> and be similarly unsuitable for editing.

Indeed png and jpg are unsuitable for all but the most trivial image
editing.  So unless anyone objects (no one has yet) I am making it policy
to require images be submitted in the native format of the app which the
artist uses to create the piece with.  Also, it is not required but it is
preferred if the artist would include a PSD (or another well supported
import format) so our artists might collaborate with one another more
easily.  This policy makes our discussion about whether we are or aren't
abiding by the GPL/GFDL irrelevant.

> I would really like to see a line drawn under this discussion, as it
> is not helping us get anywhere, and I have no intention of using anyone's
> work against their will, or cooperating with anyone who plans to do so.
> Using legalese to justify doing so would undermine everything I stand for.

I would be opposed to using her work in any 'Official' way in WF projects
(Mason, Sands etc) although others will do as their conscience guides
them.  I have a great respect for Uta and the massive contributions she's
made to WorldForge over the years and therefore I won't personally use her
work in ways that she wouldn't approve.  It seems that there is general
consensus within the Mason developer community not to use Uta's art.  With
this fact in mind I hope that we can put this issue to rest and focus on
building Mason.

-Jason <Pato>

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you
give that to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the
name of justice, fearing for your own safety.  Even the wise cannot see
all ends." - JRR Tolkien