[WF-General] Re: [WF-Media] Media license strangeness

Kai Blin blin at gmx.net
Wed Jul 21 03:34:16 PDT 2004

* Alistair Riddoch <alriddoch at zepler.org> [14/07/04, 19:26:14]:

[...]

> I would therefor propose that we adopt a new policy which is more considerate
> to our contributors. I propose that we accept artwork under any terms which are
> compatible with the GPL. We can then distribute aggregations of this work under
> the GPL if necessary, and leave the original terms intact in the media
> repository. There would be no problem with our existing content as all of it is
> already available under the terms of the GPL because of the dual licensing
> policy. Any contributor who has concerns with the applicability of the GPL can
> choose another license or terms themselves, as long as they are compatible. It
> should be simple to compile a short list of compatible licenses from the Free
> Software Foundations resources, and we have more than enough licensing
> knowledge to assess new work on a case by case basis.
>
> This policy should be easier for contributors to understand, more respectful of
> contributors rights, less hassle for distributors, and far easier to maintain.
>
> Comments please.

I think this is a good idea. After all the times I tried to explain our
licensing policy to prospective media contributors, I'd most definetely
like it simpler.

We should address the fact that we changed the policy in a seperate
thread on the media list, though.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin aka. nowhere (blin<at>gmx.net), WorldForge Project
Web: http://www.worldforge.org/

Don't plan any hasty moves.  You'll be evicted soon anyway.