[WF-General] The Forums: a failed experiment

Mark Havenner waythingsare at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 09:24:36 PDT 2007

I had the same exact problem with PHPBB in the past two years. Even if you
lock the forums, spammers will still register accounts by the hundreds. I
had a site just for three people to use and it was still a major problem.
I've used PHPBB for about 5 or so years and I've only seen this activity in
the past 6 months. I think something is terribly wrong with the software or
these spammers have learned the code too well.

In any case, can I recommend a social networking community as an alternative
to PHPBB? Three years in eBusiness school and I can tell you without
hesitation that this is the future of web communication in both the business
world and otherwise.

I've used elgg for a community and found it to be rich in features, stable
and free of spam. The "MySpace" approach is already familiar and with a
cause like Worldforge could make sense.

http://elgg.org/