[WF-General] fruits in trees

James Turner zakalawe at mac.com
Wed Mar 28 00:36:20 PST 2007

On 27 Mar 2007, at 17:20, Erik Hjortsberg wrote:

> This leads to a larger question on how to proceed with Indri/
> Cyphesis. This is obviously a world rule thing, so all work we do
> on world rules in cyphesis has to be redone in indri once that's
> operational.
> So how far from operational is indri? How much will you be able to
> put into development the coming months?
> In essence: where do we go from here?

Assuming I am able to make a large-scale contribution is wildly
optimistic - various factors have greatly reduced my free time,
unfortunately. If anyone wished to adopt the indri codebase, it can
(possibly with some small work) be made to run a world, where sear
(and presumably ember) can connect, run around, talk and use tools.
The major hurdle I stalled on is ODE integration, which is necessary
to provide real physics (movement) and collision detection.

However, Alriddoch has made many incremental changes to cyphesis
which (as I understand it) make it suitable for larger world
deployments than was previously the case - i.e I think it will be
some considerable time before cyphesis is the limiting factor in
world construction.

And as we've said many times in the past, if you have rules written
for world objects in cyphesis, porting them over is a trivial task,
especially if your object hierarchy is well thought-out. I would be
dismayed if anyone was reluctant to write new objects for cyphesis
simply because indri is theoretically coming along - at the moment
it's clearly not.

James