[WF-General] Cyphesis internals overhaul

Alistair Riddoch alriddoch at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 7 17:24:25 PDT 2008

Anyone who pays attention to the contents of cvs commit emails will
have noticed that the most recent commit to cyphesis is big.

Over the last few days I have completely overhauled the way properties
work, making it so that default values are stored centrally per class
rather than on each instance. The reduces memory footprint, massively
cuts down the number of property values stored in the database and
should improve performance. It is a major change to the way things
work, and I have already had to fix many breakages. I am sure there
are many more, but my current development setup makes it hard for me
to verify what does and does not still work. If you are interested in
helping out get through this upheaval, please spent whatever time you
can working out what server side functionality has been broken by
these changes. Everything from collision detection, visibility
calculations and basic movement rules through to the details of tree
metabolism, and the transactions supported by NPC AI are up for
testing.

If you are able to verify something works, please follow up here. If
you find something has broken, please file a bug on launchpad and
follow up here at your option.

This is a pretty exciting time for cyphesis, with full server
persistence now within sight. Your help is much appreciated.

Alistair Riddoch
alriddoch at googlemail.com
http://alistairriddoch.org/