[WF-General] Proposal for Media Releases

Thomas Ingham tom.lists at coalmarch.com
Mon Sep 15 06:16:16 PDT 2008

All.

After having read through a bunch of the latest announcements
regarding Worldforge generated properties I thought to attempt to put
together a skeleton framework for use in generating media releases in
the future. Ultimately I'd like to see us develop a consistent and
easily replicable format that anyone working a project, or project's
release can use to create a WF announcement. I had originally begun
this as a Google doc with a few invites sent to some of you but the
response has been slow. I'm sure that this is a low priority for most
of you, but if anyone feels the need to chime in please don't hesitate.

The template I'm using for this prototype message is that of a
standard corporate press release. While these releases do at first
appear to lack character and emotive content; they are a standard
which is accepted by major news outlets all over the world.

The aim of standardizing media releases would be to then begin
publishing release announcements, and project progress reports to
newswire services such as PR Newswire, PRZoom and others that provide
a free form of press release posting mechanism. By publishing releases
in this manner we can begin to expand our outreach for both recruiting
to the project; as well as general public awareness that will be
necessary to grow the project beyond it's current boundaries.

The format I'm proposing for dissection by the group is as follows:

Worldforge Announces <TYPE OF ANNOUNCEMENT> <TITLE>

The Worldforge team is pleased to announce... <PLAIN FACTS DESCRIPTION
OF RELEASE NOTICE>

"<QUOTE FROM PRINCIPLE CONTRIBUTOR OR ORGANIZER>" - Usually discusses
a problem solved; or a key aspect of the release that makes it
newsworthy.

<DISTRIBUTION NOTICES, FEATURE LISTS, CHANGES, ITEMIZED DESCRIPTION OF
RELEASE NOTICE>

And a Boilerplate: (eg.)

The Worldforge project, started in 1997 as an open source alternative
to the most popular massively multiplayer game Ultima-Online has
developed several new technologies and assisted in countless other
open source projects. Made up of an international base of creative,
passionate and driven individuals Worldforge aims to provide game
creators the tools and technologies needed to create fantastic games.
For more information please visit http://www.worldforge.org.

An example release using this format is below:

> Worldforge Announces Release 0.1 of Brutus IRC Log Viewer
>
> The Worldforge team is pleased to announce the immediate
> availability of the Brutus IRC log viewer application. Brutus is a
> web-based application developed to display the rich history of the
> Worldforge project to the public at large. Convenient tools are
> available for searching the IRC logs from all of the channels on the
> Worldforge IRC server since the creation of 'brenda' the IRC bot
> used for housekeeping.
>
> "What started out as a basic frustration for myself and others
> quickly became a clear indication that some software was needed. All
> too often we refer back to something someone said about a particular
> requirement or concept but unless we have a copy on our local
> machine; finding this information can be impossible...", says Thomas
> Ingham the developer of Brutus. "We've added a few special bits to
> the application such as the ability to register for an account and
> store your previous searches, among other features."
>
> Brutus is available at http://code-bear.com/brutus A permanent
> location will be assigned once the software reaches the 0.2
> milestone. Future plans include: integration with other aspects of
> the Worldforge project including Wombat, Annotations and Tagging to
> help users find more relevant content more quickly and the ability
> to claim more than a single IRC nickname per profile.
>
> For contributions or bug reports please see the Launchpad project
> for Brutus available at: http://launchpad.net/brutus
>
> The Worldforge project, started in 1997 as an open source
> alternative to the most popular massively multiplayer game Ultima-
> Online has developed several new technologies and assisted in
> countless other open source projects. Made up of an international
> base of creative, passionate and driven individuals Worldforge aims
> to provide game creators the tools and technologies needed to create
> fantastic games. For more information please visit http://www.worldforge.org
> .
>
> For media inquiries, or to arrange an interview, please contact the
> Worldforge General mailing list, general at worldforge.org.

This is a proposed format; I'm really looking for some feedback or
suggestions for modifying it to better suit our needs. As you review
it please understand that the goal is to make our announcements
suitable for national and international newswire services while at the
same time providing a structure that's suitable for replication in the
normal venues (Freshmeat, dev blog, etc.) Also, traditionally there
would be a single-point of contact for media inquiries; we might want
to appoint someone to "Media Handler" or the like.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Thomas (tingham/magnethead)