[WF-General] Proposal for Media Releases

Erik Hjortsberg erik.hjortsberg at iteam.se
Thu Sep 18 14:15:28 PDT 2008

Hi,

from the start I think it should be mentioned that the most common form of public release from the project is the New Release Notice. These are quite standardized in their appearance: a short introduction of the app/lib, a short description of the changes, a bullet point of changes, info on where to download the code and some further notes.
This is the format recognized both by all major release outlets (sourceforge, freshmeat, happypenguin, lwn etc.) and also the format recognized by other FOSS developers.
We aim to get new releases out pretty often, preferably with only mere months between. The format we use for these strongly communicates that we are a FOSS project, and that we are serious about producing code. The latter has not always been true of the public image: for some time the project grew too wide (in my opinion at least), without any clear direction. By trying to be an umbrella project for everything that could be related to virtual worlds, as were the case some years ago, confused people and ultimately hurt the project. Now we're back on track again and are producing tech that works.

What this leads up to is that I think that using corporate type press releases for our code releases would communicate the wrong image of the project. A code release is something tangible that people involved in FOSS instantly recognizes; by doing it in the style of a corporate press release would probably mainly confuse people.

However, there is also a need for actual press releases. Our ten year anniversary is coming up soon, and that will warrant some kind of release.
In addition, we've previously done combined code "package" releases of Mason, i.e. already released server and client packages bundled and branded as "Mason". As Ember and Cyphesis now are quite stable and at the same time are getting more and more features it would pehaps be a good time to do a new such release soon.
These kind of announcements warrants a more formalized press release strucure, very much like the one you proposed. And for that I think the layout you've put forth is a good one.
I'm a little bit wary about the citation part though, because I myself automatically interpret those passages in the press releases I read as Corporate Speak, and often just skip them altogether.

In the last bit, I like to think myself that we aim to create "virtual worlds", not "games". And the Ultima-Online part should go, that only makes us seem ancient (which we are, but no need to rub it in). Otherwise I think it quite nicely sums up our goals and how we work.