[WF-General] Proposal for Media Releases

Alistair Riddoch alriddoch at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 18 17:07:08 PDT 2008

I have been handling the announcements of a really good proportion of
all the software releases we have done for some time now, and I have
put plenty of thought into the format I use for these announcements,
and iterated it gradually over time to try and improve it. At each
change I noted whether the response to the release was greater or less
than last time, and treated the feedback accordingly. One thing I am
quite aware of is that when the project is being productive, software
release announcements can come pretty thick and fast. Two or three a
month used to be fairly commonplace. It is generally important to make
sure the main points of the announcement get across, which means
making sure the relevant bits are read. This makes brevity very
important. A long press release probably looks great on paper, but if
it doesn't get to the point within the first couple of sentences the
point will be lost. Even once we do have people's attention, they will
probably not read much of the text of an announcement, and if they are
interested enough to look for more information, we have plenty online
for them to read. Accordingly the remainder of the announcement format
consists of concise structured information containing the details
pertinent to the release. While I have never before documented the
format of release announcement, it seemed obvious to me to use it
consistently across all the packages I was handling the release for.
The format looks something like this:

<package_name> version <version> has been released and is now
available from the WorldForge download site.

<package_name> is a <brief description of the package>. This is
release is intended for <target audience for the release>

Major changes in this version:

<bulleted list of the changes that actually interest people in english
sentences>

Source code and binary packaged can be downloaded from here:

<bulleted list of links to downloadable files with descriptive link text>

Source Code
Linux source rpm
Windows executable
Linux autopackage

As Erik mentions, it is usually possible to transcribe all this
information into the structures used by the various news channels we
use to disseminate the releases. I think my opinion is broadly aligned
with Erik's when I say that I think using a more formal verbose
release format is undesirable for a number of reasons. Firstly I think
the majority of the content will be lost as most readers will not be
sufficiently interested to want to absorb it all. Secondly we should
be very wary about sounding too corporate, especially as we do not
have the resources or structure to follow through if we do get
corporate interest. Enthusiasts and developers will not perceive the
project as one they can get involved with if they think it is a highly
professional operation being run on a commercial basis. Thirdly the
rate we release software will mean that people get sick of reading
them, and become blind to the news if we try and disseminate releases
too widely. Wide dissemination should be restricted to infrequent
announcements with more direct relevance to the broader community. As
Erik says the upcoming 10th anniversary coinciding with a combined
game oriented release of all our software and material integrated
together would be an ideal opportunity to try and generate more
publicity, reach a wider audience, and attract the attention of player
and potential contributors alike. For this we probably need something
a bit grander than our rather concise release format.

I don't want this to come across as a rejection of your idea. In fact
I am far too unfamiliar with publicity and public relations to have a
qualified opinion on what you propose, but I wanted to get across that
we have though pretty hard about this issue many times over the years,
and there is a reason why we have settled on doing things the way we
do at the moment.

Great work on the web tools, and keep the ideas coming.

Al