[WF-General] A little help

Erik Hjortsberg erik.hjortsberg at gmail.com
Wed May 6 05:55:26 PDT 2009

Well, in our initial implementation we'll just use a regular mesh, but
in the future we need to use a more special rendering type, since ocean
render presents some extra issues. Any such implementation would need to
read the top of the ocean to decide where to place the sea level.
(We currently have support in Ember for Hydrax water
(http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Hydrax) but it's currently
disabled since it's too resource hungry.)

So, no, it wouldn't present any issue either for our initial
render-using-mesh hack and future
render-using-specialized-render-object. It would be pretty cool.

The ocean entity could also contain some information about the current
wave height etc., so it would be possible to simulate different kind of
weather. This should be some kind of value general enough that the
client would then be able to use that in conjunture with the different
depths of the waters to present different sized waves depending on the
depth. We could also add information of the waters colour etc. These are
all thoughts for the future however and not something we want to
implement right away.

/erik