[WF-General] Hi folks

Erik Hjortsberg erik.hjortsberg at gmail.com
Mon May 11 06:00:22 PDT 2009

Hi, I've now assigned you to the blueprint.
I saw that you've gotten a git repo and have created a audio branch on
it. That's excellent. Don't forget to do "git push" regularly so that we
can follow your progress.

I'm thinking that initially we should set a limit for the size of an
individual sound, when to load it all into memory and when to stream it.
Conceptually the only difference between a streamed and an in-memory
sound is that the second one only has one "chunk" while the former have
multiple. Implementation wise there are some more things to consider,
but that's basically the difference.

The Ogre resource framework have some features for setting memory quotas
for difference resource managers, and the telling the system to unload
those resources that aren't needed if the allocated memory exceeds the
quota.
However, the sound service in Ember is disconnected from Ogre and
shouldn't have any dependencies on it, so if we would try to utilize
this it would be through the IResourceWrapper interface (and the
OgreResourceWrapper which actually hooks into the Ogre resource system).
As you might have seen already in Ember the sound classes are separated
into those in src/services/sound which are more general and don't have
any hooks to Ogre or the EmberOgre namespace, and the ones in
src/components/ogre/sound which build on the former ones and do have
hooks into both Ogre and the EmberOgre namespace.

/erik