[WF-General] [GSoC Weekly Report] Ember multi-threaded

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Mon May 25 18:24:17 PDT 2009

Hello,

I also started ahead of time, because I was a bit less busy than I expect to be
in the near future, and in this way I have a bit of a "buffer".

I'm tracking my progress (and anything related with the project) in
http://wiki.worldforge.org/wiki/Ember:_Add_better_multi_threading_support

I already got things mostly running before this, so I spent most of the past
week:

1) contacting Erik and James (via Erik) to help me to identify areas of Ember
that would benefit for multi-threading (the result of this should be a
document/plan of what areas can benefit from multi-threading and some
preliminary ideas about how to implement them);

2) learning about git (to be able to perform the basic tasks that I need);

3) starting to investigate about code, especially Eris library (which was a main
topic in the communication with Erik and James), how it works and how's used in
Ember.

4) following the advices from Erik about how to start to tackle the problem
(threading options that OGRE 3D library should support, with subsequent
compilation of the dependencies).  Unless upgrade is mandatory or advisable, I
expect to stay with this version of OGRE without recompiling it again for the
whole GSoC period.

The plans for the next weeks are straightforward: I expect to have a list of a
few areas that would benefit from multi-threading in about a week, and then look
into each of them and implementing multi-threading in each area step by step.

Any suggestions are welcome, specially from people working in Ember or the
libraries that it depends upon in the past (both for telling areas that might
benefit heavily, and for thread-safety issues -- risks to prevent).

Good GSoC for everyone! :)
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo at gmail.com>