[WF-General] Earthworms as bait for fishing

Amey Parulekar amey.par at gmail.com
Sat May 30 03:52:20 PDT 2009

Hi,
I'm currently working on the AI for fish, and while the bugs are being
ironed out I'm thinking about how to implement the task of obtaining
earthworms for bait. There are two approaches that come to mind:

1) A simple task in which the earthworms would be immobile and placed
a few inches into the ground. The player clicks on the ground and
selects "gather_bait()" and the some earthworms are added to the
player's inventory and removed from the ground
2) The earthworms move around inside the ground, and the player digs
up a mound of dirt with a shovel, and then selects "gather_bait()" on
the mound, and all of the earthworms that were present in the patch
that the player dug up will be added to the player's inventory.

The first approach is not so simulationist but is very simple to
implement, whereas the second one is very realistic and
correspondingly tougher to implement. What do you guys think? Which
one would be better? And if you have a third idea or suggestions as to
how I can improve these ideas, those would be very much welcome :)

Amey