[WF-General] Earthworms as bait for fishing

Alistair Riddoch alriddoch at googlemail.com
Sun May 31 04:59:46 PDT 2009

2009/5/30 Amey Parulekar <amey.par at gmail.com>:
> Sure, I'll edit the wiki page as I go along. The wiki page says that
> the process of inspecting the dirt mound for earthworms can be
> implemented in two ways: either as a specific activity associated with
> the dirt mound, or as a generic activity for inspecting containers.
> I'll do it the second way, so that the same functionality can be
> replicated elsewhere in the future

It's cool to see this thought through in a simulationist way, great. I
think in this case it is best to go for a slightly less simulationist
view, as the shear number of worms that should be in a virtual world
would overwhelm the simulation engine. Also consider that almost all
tasks for gathering and processing resources and encapsulated in tools
in the game world, as a mechanism for the player to select which
activity they want to perform, and as a way to keep things simple and
manageable.

Using a shovel on the ground already creates piles of earth. I would
suggest adding a small tool which can then be used on piles of
recently dug earth. This tool would activate a task, and the task is
responsible for creating the worm objects, and puts them directly into
the characters inventory.

Sound good?

Alistair Riddoch
alriddoch at googlemail.com