[WF-General] [GSoC Weekly Report] Ember multi-threaded

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Sun May 31 17:09:55 PDT 2009

Hello,

This week was a bit complicated due to family issues, and I'll be traveling
tomorrow for a few days because of work, I already talked with my mentor (Erik)
about that.

The work was mainly to study the sound subsystem and looking for possible areas
to use threads, as well as preparing to use Boost::Thread instead of pthread.
In fact, I started to look at the sound subsystem because of that -- it already
had some code in place to use threads with pthread, the only area of Ember code
using threads.

The conclusions so far (including comments from Erik) are documented in:
http://wiki.worldforge.org/w/index.php?title=Ember:_Add_better_multi_threading_support&oldid=5130#Sound

The plans for the next week (if time permits, depends on the days left due to
the travel) is to try to find a final decision on the sound subsystem.  The
other immediate area to look at is model loading, which OGRE does in separate
threads (with semi-threaded mode), but we aren't sure that Ember takes full
advantage from it.  It seems that this topic will be the main theme for the next
weeks.

Full log:
http://wiki.worldforge.org/wiki/Ember:_Add_better_multi_threading_support#May

Cheers.