[WF-General] spawn area

Alistair Riddoch alriddoch at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 2 06:07:24 PST 2010

2010/1/2 Erik Hjortsberg <erik.hjortsberg at gmail.com>:
> Hi, the new spawn point feature looks really nice, but I would like to have
> seen the area definition code harmonized with the way areas/space is defined
> in the terrain mod property. Overall I think it would be good if area
> defining properties were harmonized, so that all kind of areas (terrain
> areas, terrain mods, spawn points etc.) used the same code, allowing for the
> area to be defined as any one of the available wfmath shapes (as is the case
> with terrain mod currently).

Ooops. The reason this has come out this way is that I thought this
was the way all areas are defined. As I didn't write the terrain mod
code, it had slipped my mind that it works differently. I kinda think
that having mutltiple different ways of handling area shapes is overly
complex and unnecessary. Most shapes can be defined in terms of
polygonal areas, and the use of other wfmath shapes such as squares,
circles etc. just serves to make the implementation harder and more
code.

In summary I think the only area shape we should support is
WFMath::Polygon<2>, and these areas should be defined the way they
work on the spawn areas. I think this should be generally compatible
with what terrain mods requires, but obviously your input is vital.

Alistair Riddoch
alriddoch at googlemail.com
http://alistairriddoch.org/