[WF-General] WorldForge Up and Running

Alistair Riddoch alriddoch at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 2 12:12:06 PST 2010

On 1 March 2010 11:35, Manohar Vanga <manohar.vanga at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Manohar,

and welcome!

> I now have WorldForge up and running (compiled from source) on my Debian
> system. I was having issues on Debian Stable with outdated packages but
> everything works fine with Debain Testing.

Congratulations! No mean feat given the amount of code we have, and
the complexity of some of the dependencies.

> I'm interested in developing Cyphesis further. I was thinking of starting
> off with getting a feel for the codebase by working on something like the
> cyphesis-capabilities-enumeration blueprint. It seems relatively easy to
> implement and should get me started. Who should I be aiming my questions at
> (Al Riddoch?)?

Excellent, cyphesis can certainly use the work. I am currently having
to take a break from development, and Erik is caretaking cyphesis for
a relatively short while. In the meantime I will do my best to answer
the strategic questions, and Erik will most likely help you out with
details.

I think the blueprint is a good place to start, as the feature is
fairly isolated and will be a relatively simple useful thing to work
on.

The cyphesis codebase has not typically been open to direct commits
from the community at large, and now that we have git it should be
relatively easy to share code and changes without most developers
pushing to the central repository. If you want to be able to push
changes for review to the WorldForge git server, Kai should be able to
sort you out with your own cyphesis repository. Alternatively you
could just create your own clone on github.com.

Because of my current break there may be a delay in merging changes
into the core codebase. Don't be disheartened, and good look working
on the code.

Alistair Riddoch
alriddoch at googlemail.com
http://alistairriddoch.org/