[WF-General] Questions regarding distribution of server

Espen Overaae minthos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 14:34:32 PST 2010

Thanks for the swift reply.

I'm glad to hear that detaching the AI isn't a completely alien
prospect. If I were to get involved in this, I would also make the
server itself very distributed. Without knowledge of the current
implementation I would guess I would have to make some modifications
to how events, game state, etc is handled. To me, the big question is
really whether I have time to make the necessary modifications to make
this work, or if I must write something minimalistic from scratch.

My goal is a highly scalable server implementation for purely academic
interest, I'm writing a master's thesis on that topic and need to
implement and benchmark my architecture.

The benefit I would get from using WorldForge is much more credible
benchmark data, due to a more complete game being run, with all the
added complexities that entails.

You can read my plans for the project at
http://folk.uio.no/espeov/Master/projdesc.pdf , the intro and
architecture sections are probably the most interesting ones.

Espen