[WF-General] [GSOC] Skill requirements

Zdravko Velinov z.velinov at vkv5.com
Mon Mar 22 14:22:17 PDT 2010

Hello, as you may guess I'm interested in participating in Google Summer
of Code.

I think that worldforge is the most suitable project for myself, because
when I have started developing applications in C++, about 4 years ago, my
primary objective was to create a full fledged computer games. Well, I
have learned for this period of time that this is easier said than done.

So what is my background?

I have been an RunUO admin for a short time - so you may guess what kind
of game I was interested in developing. Then I have decided to start my
own project with some friends which turned out to be a total disaster. So
at least I have learned how to develop C++ applications which was very
useful because I had won a national programming contest(btw, I'm from
Bulgaria) in my last year at school.

So about two years ago I have abandoned all my efforts to build a video
game and now I'm more concentrated on some concrete algorithms, which I'm
implementing by using OpenGL/GLSL.

Oh, I have some formal training in C/C++ programming at the university.
Currently, I'm studying in Technical University - Sofia for a bachelor
degree in the field of telecommunications(2nd year).

Enough talking let's show you the code:
- I have some experience with developing open source applications.
http://openfmi.net/projects/tvhelper/
This is a simple application that I have developed for myself to watch
online tv because the totem and mplayer plugins for Firefox were broken.
It turned out to be quite popular, as you may see in the download section,
but I haven't updated it for quite some time, so I assume that it is no
longer working.

- Here are some screen shots from my most recent work
http://gallery.vkv5.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2617 -- GPGPU based ocean water
simulation
http://gallery.vkv5.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2614 -- A simple geomipmapping
algorithm
that I have developed in order to learn OpenGL
I can send you the code but it is not pretty.

And of course I have some minimal previous experience with OGRE. Well, I
can't prove that because I don't have some more advanced code that I can
show you. So you can assume that I don't know anything about it.

What am I interested in developing?

Well, I have checked the Ideas list -- nothing interesting, really.

I'm more interested in developing a weather system. I see that currently
Ember is using Caelum which enables just a day and night cycle, but what
about rain and snow. This will greatly enhance the user experience and
will bring some new technologies to the project.

So in the past few weeks I have been researching about some related works.
And
the most notable is the ATi Toyshop Demo:
http://developer.amd.com/media/gpu_assets/Tatarchuk-Isidoro-Rain(EGWNph06).pdf
So the question is how far this particular algorithm is appliable to real
world application such as Ember. Well, this entirely depends on the
targeted audience. So this is actually my first question. - What are the
limitations about performance/realism that you have placed?

Well, If everything depends on me:
First of all, I'm going to implement some simple particle based algorithm.
Then I will add the lighting effects. The next step is to make the
algorithm to smoothly transition from one state to another(rain, snow,
cloudy etc.) -- that's actually the most important part because without it
this code will be totally useless. Then, of course, if I have some time
left I can try some more advanced effects, but only if the results are
efficient enough.

Ok, so that's it for now. I'm still planning, but at least I have some
idea what I'm interested in.