[WF-General] [GSOC] Skill requirements

Zdravko Velinov z.velinov at vkv5.com
Thu Mar 25 14:15:38 PDT 2010

Well, I have looked more closely into the matter. So it turns out that
some precomputed lightmaps have been used for some parts of the lighting
system(Maya 6.0 Mental Ray is mentioned in some other paper) but I don't
think that this is an option for this project.
Some of the effects are not that hard to achieve. For example
post-processing blur is used to simulate the glow around the street
lights.

Actually, there are at least two approaches to implement a rain
rendering algorithm. By using a particle system which could be easier to
implement but not so efficient and there is of course some texture based
algorithms such as the one used in the Toyshop demo. Well, actually we
can use even simpler solution for the low-end graphics cards, for
example a simple scrollable texture. Well, I prefer the particle system
because I'm going to implement a snow rendering algorithm which is more
suitable for a particle system and a single approach will be easier to
implement than a different algorithm for each weather condition and the
transition between rain and snow will be smoother.

Hmmmm, I have to check this so called "weather entity". Actually, I was
planning to implement just the client side.

As for Caelum, the algorithm will directly interact with it, so some
modifications will be necessary, but I don't plan to improve it's sky
rendering algorithm. Actually, there are some other projects in the OGRE
community such as SkyX but I'm not sure how stable is this project.

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 22:39 +0100, Erik Hjortsberg wrote:
> Hi, that's quite an interesting and advanced idea.
> As I mentioned over irc we use Ogre's material and scheme system to
> allow for multiple detail levels, for different hardware. There are
> basically three: low (fixed function), medium (shader, normal mapping
> etc., but no shadows) and high (shader, normal mapping etc., pssm shadows).
> Your proposal if I understand it deals with altering the shaders mainly,
> so that it's possible to switch between different precipitations (rain,
> snow, none). I'm a little worried though that the multiple lights will
> require deferred lightning. Is that the case?
> It will probably also only affect the medium and high setting, but
> that's ok. The fixed function detail level is there, but there's really
> no reason to put too much effort into providing such advanced features
> for it.
>
> On the server side front there actually already is a "weather" entity
> present in the game, which cycles through rain. It's just not read by
Ember.