[WF-General] server list

Alistair Riddoch alriddoch at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:43:19 PST 2012

On Thursday, 16 February 2012, Dean Bouvier wrote:

> I think Erik is correct in this assumption a number of times I've talked
> to other users or read comments in other forums about WF people complained
> about empty worlds that had nothing, so it would be a very worthwhile
> addition. I think automatically filtering them and then allowing them to
> unfiltered would be best because then a user is presented with running
> worlds and overall better experience, rather then spending time logging in
> only to realize it was for not.

I am not disagreeing with Erik's assertion, or with his proposal that we
hide these servers from the average user. I am however not happy with the
solution he proposes. Losing statistics on number of running servers and
how well configured they are will be a loss to the project, and valuable
feedback to me on how good a job I am doing at making my code easy to use.

The server status message which the Eris client uses to provide Ember with
a list of servers already contains metadata which Ember can use to
effectively filter out servers which are clearly misconfigured and empty,
so the user experience Erik proposes can be implemented by client side
changes, without impacting the valuable server statistics we are gathering
with the metaserver, or removing the ability to use the same metaserver
service to discover the users own empty servers for admin purposes.

> I do think that a MOTD Pop-up would be a nice feature to add as I can
> think a few cases where we might want to explain something to the user
> about the rules, special content location, or in the case of Sandbox let
> them know about the open admin login for them to play around in, I doubt
> many see the original sandbox forum post, anymore.
>

> Another thing I've noted on the Server List, both Amber and Sandbox have 2
> clients generally logged in, yet I rarely see another client listed in the
> command login look, or run into anyone, are you running a monitoring type
> of client that is logged in to those servers Al, or is this an addition to
> .26 version, as normally there is only the default 1 client, which I
> believe is a System client?

This is a bug I am aware of, but I have never been able to track down how
it occurs. Somewhere somehow the client count isn't getting decremented,
but I don't know why. I'll try taking another look at some point. It would
help a lot to see a full set of log messages since the server started up
from those servers which have an incorrect count.

--
Alistair Riddoch
alriddoch at googlemail.com
http://alistairriddoch.org/