[WF-General] server list

Alistair Riddoch alriddoch at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 17 04:00:38 PST 2012

On Thursday, 16 February 2012, Sean Ryan wrote:

> I can't post to the list from my phone, so just directly, forward if you
> think it's valuable.
>
> I have provisions in the metaserver for client filtering.
>
> I have a couple blueprints on it at LP if you want to look.
>
> In essence, severs ( and clients too ) have attributes. I allow clients to
> define filters based on attributes.  This can be done once ( for a session
> ) and then the server list is filtered on the ms side.
>
> For example: cyphesis can say ruleset=foobar, and at startup ember can say
> filter ruleset=foobar, and only get a constrained list. I made it a new
> packet type, however now that I think on it, old clients won't set filters,
> so I can probably reuse the listreq type.
>
> It needs work, but the meat is all there.

Great news, this is exactly the kind of feature that makes the re-write
worth it. For now it won't be an issue, but in future it'll be a major
saving to cut out the need for Eris/Ember to process and query all the
servers in the world to find the ones they are looking for. We hope. ;)
It'll only really be a problem if there is enough adoption to drive up the
number of servers.

Alistair Riddoch
alriddoch at googlemail.com
http://alistairriddoch.org/