[WF-Infra] New website?

kosh at aesaeion.com kosh at aesaeion.com
Wed Jul 4 15:44:46 PDT 2001

Designing the webpages of tomorrow http://webme-eng.com
Designing the MMORPGS of tomorrow http://worldforge.org

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Philippe Jadin wrote:

> > install both but I am not entirely sure what is required right now to
> > setup the databases. How are you planning to handle versions in the
> > relation database? With postgres zope will manage the transactions
> > automaticaly and cache the connections which makes things easier then it
> > normally would be.
>
> Well, finally I found it was better to use zope to store media metadata and
> not use any rdbms. It's much more flexible and easier to implement. I'll
> provide some kind of xml representation of metadata per object or per
> folder, this would give easy connections with another system. And the lack
> of SQL is not a problem imho if I use zcatalog.
>
> Moreover, as you said it is hard to implement versions in a rdbms.
>
> So, what do you think about a 100% zope solution? For now I'd like to use
> standard zope image/file products because they do exactly what we need
> (catalog awareness can be implemented easily in the the addMedia python
> script). And those are the right type added when you submit a file or an
> image to zope.

That will certainly work for me.

> Another question : is it better to have a separate catalog for media or not?
> Imho it would be better to have a separate one, but I'd like to have your
> opinion on this. Because I'll add a search page to the media ui soon.

A seperate catalog is probably a good idea however the nice thing is I can
still hook the master search engine to it easily.

> As for ftp access, I have quite a solution : we could create a special ftp
> account (a special role maybe) which would only have "add image/file", "ftp
> access" and "view" permissions. This way it would be impossible to delete
> files (only add new ones) with ftp. This way I can't see a security risk if
> the password is sniffed, all the bad guy could do is add/view new files.

I think this should work fairly well.

> When Tony will have the categories, and when the ui will be finished, when
> can we expect to have the media ui zope working "technically"? I mean there
> is probably some work on your end, for example having a separate mount of
> zodb only for media, and check for the 2gb limit, backups etc... I can not
> help a lot there, because I don't know zope enough for this. Anyway if I can
> help, let me know.

Adding another zodb should not be a problem. The 2gb limit should not
exist if the box was set up correctly. It certainly doesn't on any of my
boxes. Well we will certainly find out if that is a problem. ;) The nice
thing is that the zodb will just stop growing and will give errors and
which point we mount another one and move some stuff over. Backups should
not be too hard will have to find someone we can do backups with. Would
really help if zsyncer progressed more.

> Finally, I can't have zsyncer working anymore (but it's probably a problem
> on my end) : I get parameter error - bobobase_modification_time or something
> like this (and I cannot see what I changed). Seems to be a known bug of
> zsyncer, maybe we'll have to wait for the new release...

For zsyncer I am not sure. I have found it to be fairly flakey.