[WF-Infra] Re: migrating worldforge from belegost to moria?

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Sat Jun 2 17:35:40 PDT 2001

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Philippe Jadin wrote:
> > I'm going to be reworking the news tool in the site.  I'm going to
> > change it to use MySQL instead of Berkeley as the database.
>
> It would be really nice to have a zope site running, because it *so* much
> easier to maintain. If you need to recode something in perl, I would
> recomend look into zope first. You can learn something usefull in a few
> weeks. Really ;-)

Okay, I'll check into it, though I'm quite partial to Perl.  ;-)

> If you need someone to help maintain this part of the project, I can help
> after 20/06 many hours/week...
> Media repository is a part of it anyway...

Thanks.  Given that the zope site is making swift progress towards
becoming generally editable, I'm going to hold back on use of this new
tool for WorldForge.  If the zope site continues its momentum, then I'll
be investigating making this tool zope compatible.  If not, then I will
upgrade WF's current news system with it first, and then the file upload
tool.

FWIW, the status of this tool is as follows:  Principle development is
aimed at supporting the website needs of the Open Source Development
Labs.  It will use mysql, but I am using DBI and intend to make it DB
neutral.  I will be using Template-Toolkit to manage the look and feel.
Since OSDL uses Slashcode, this will probably be my first integration
target.

It is sort of a "meta database".  That is, rather than hard coding an
interface to a particular database table, it dynamically interfaces to
tables, does automatic typechecking, and so forth, so that to create a
new database table all you will need to do is lay out the HTML form and
create the database table.  I will probably even provide tools to
automate those aspects, too, some day.  ;-) It will support the current
Eidetic's nifty GET-based query syntax, which I really like, but will
use Template-Toolkit's template system instead of the simple one I made
for Eidetic.