[WF-Infra] The media UI is on the way !

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Sun Jun 3 17:17:40 PDT 2001

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, [iso-8859-1] Tony wrote:
> Someone else can back me up, or prove me wrong here, but I
> believe all of the media for the WF project will continue to be
> stored in CVS to allow easier updates & tracking of what is
> where (etc.) This is not to say that the same media will not
> exist in the media repository. The whole purpose
> (http://203.37.144.33/wf/purpose.txt) of the repository is to
> provide a central location for ALL free media, not just that for
> the WF project. The WF media will be used to initially seed the
> repository, but the hope is that it will not be exclusively for
> WF use. Hence the need to try and make something that is
> functional for everybody to use, and not just something that
> half works and we can say "well its only for our use, so we'll
> just put up with it half working".

Yup, that's the idea.

> This does bring up another point though, if the media is to
> exist in both CVS & repository, when will a piece be added to
> the repository. Obviously the best time would be once it is
> finished, and no longer likely to be changing any more. Is there
> a way of telling this ? Or will it be a case of asking all of
> the authors/artists which of their pieces are finished, and can
> be added to repository.

I think the desire is to move away from use of CVS once this repository
can meet all of the desired features present with CVS (e.g., revision
control, ease of bulk-uploading, auto-posting commit notes to a mailing
list, etc.  Storing binary files in CVS is a pain in the ass, both for
the user, and for the CVS server.  CVS was not designed to handle binary
files, and it kind of shows...

> I have a summary of a discussion about certain aspects of the
> repository that were discussed at the last media meeting, but RL
> conspired against me even turning my computer on over the
> weekend, so it hasn't happened yet, but will soon.

Cool, I'll be looking forward to reading about it!
You might want to set up a meeting agenda / log / summary page, as some
of the other project areas have done.

Bryce